Bangalore (Mizonews.Net): Bangalore-based Mizo teenager has taken a literary path which only a few of her compatriots dare to undertake – to write a novel in English. Read Exclusive interview here
Seventeen-year-old Suzanne Sangi’s debut novel “Facebook Phantom” will be released here tomorrow at the Tagore Hall of the United Theological College in Benson Town. “The book will be released by Karnataka IG&DGP Pu Lalrokhuma Pachuau,” family sources told Mizonews.Net.
Sangi, a student of the Mt. Carmel PU College, had just completed her PU board exams this year and she is waiting for her result.According to Duckbill – a branch of Westland Publishers Ltd – Sangi is their youngest author till date.
“She is also one of the youngest Indian authors of the ‘young adult genre’,” said her publisher.
Sangi started writing the book at the age of 15, right after her tenth board exams and finished it the following summer. She was only sixteen when she signed the contract with Duckbill.
The release function is set to begin at around 4.00 pm. Ramgopal Vallath will be the guest of honour and he will speak on stage as a Duckbill author himself.
“This launch event will include a variety of entertainment items with lots of talented college kids performing. Karun, a renowned magician who is the youngest and one of the best in the whole of Asia will also be performing,” Sangi’s mother Dr. Hrangthan Chhungi said.
A short film on ‘Facebook Phantom’ created by Kiran Krishnamurthy and Purshottam will also be screened for the audience.
Here’s a brief bio-data of Sangi.
DOB: 30th November 1995
Parents: Rev. J. Jeremiah Anderson and Dr.Hrangthanchhungi
Siblings: Elder sister – Joanne Thangi, Younger brother – Jehu Anderson
Education: 2nd PUC at Mount Carmel College, Bangalore (waiting for results)
Hobbies from childhood till date: Singing, reading, writing short stories, poems and songs, playing guitar (rhythm and bass), watching movies and dramas.
- Placed first in Senior Inter–School Scripture Union Quizzes for two consecutive years – 2010 and 2010 held between CSI schools in Bangalore (among 30-40 participating schools)
- School topper in tenth standard.
- Won many school singing competitions with the school choir.
- Composed the School Anthem for St. Thomas School, Whitefield, in the year 2007 (at the age 12)
- One of the Gold medallists in the National Maths Talent in school level in the year 2010.
- Won a couple of debate and essay writing competitions in high school.
- Performed in many school skits, dramas and musicals.
- Secretary of the Western Music Association (WMA) and the College Rock Band – ‘Graph Paper’.
- Acoustic guitarist for the WMA for two years. Bass guitarist for college rock band in first PUC and rhythm guitarist in Second PUC.
- Won many western and Indian singing events in both Inter-college and intra-college fests with the WMA team.
- Won Inter-College Scripture quizzes and gospel creative writing competitions.
- Placed second rank in the whole of 1st PUC Arts department in MCC.
- Performed in many secular as well religious events – solos, duets and trios with Joanne (sister) and mother.
- Sung with the Church Choir in numerous Christian Events.
- At the age of 10, produced a CD called ‘M &Ds’ (Mom and Daughters) consisting of Traditional Christian Hymns and choruses, with mother and sister.